Noch etwas zum Stöbern in der Vergangenheit des Informationswesens. Digitalisiert und nach Anmeldung auch als PDF verfügbar von der amerikanischen National Academies Press.
Proceedings of the International Conference on Scientific Information —
The launch of Sputnik caused a flurry of governmental activity in science information. The 1958 International Conference on Scientific Information (ICSI) was held in Washington from Nov.16-21 1958 and sponsored by NSF, NAS, and American Documentation Institute, the predecessor to the American Society for Information Science. In 1959, 20,000 copies of the two volume proceedings were published by NAS and included 75 papers (1600 pages) by dozens of pioneers from seven areas such as:
- Literature and reference needs of scientists
- Function and effectiveness of A & I services
- Effectiveness of Monographs, Compendia, and Specialized Centers
- Organization of information for storage and search: comparative characteristics of existing systems
- Organization of information for storage and retrospective search: intellectual problems and equipment considerations
- Organization of information for storage and retrospective search: possibility for a general theory
- Responsibilities of Government, Societies, Universities, and industry for improved information services and research.